Established on Islay’s south coast in 1825 by A K Mackay and Co, Port Ellen is reputed to have been the first distillery to have incorporated Septimus Fox’s spirit safe design into the distillation process. After having been taken over by John Ramsay in 1836, Port Ellen became the first distillery to trade with North America in 1848. Ramsay secured the right to export in larger casks and store the casks in bonded warehouses prior to export, a system which persists to this day.
After John Ramsay’s death Port Ellen stayed in the hands of his family, but they sold their interest in the 1920s and it was acquired by DCL in 1925. The distillery continued to operate a maltings and bonded warehouse until it was re-opened with two more stills in 1966-67. Port Ellen was finally closed in the slump of 1983 and since has acquired a reputation as being the home of some of the most sought after “silent” distilleries.
This valuable bottle has a fully intact label and closure embossed James Murray Glasgow, and the level is mid shoulder.